A bit of good news for the hospitality industry with the release of data by Statistics SA (Stats SA) which shows that the total income generated by the food and beverages industry increased by 7.0% in July 2012 compared with July 2011.
- The total income generated by the food and beverages industry increased by 8.9% for the three months ended July this year compared with the same period last year.
- Food and bar sales contributed significantly, with positive annual growth rates for bar sales recorded at 0.4% and at 8.1% for food sales.
- 'Other' income decreased by 11.8% over the same period.
- Positive annual growth rates were recorded for food sales (9.6%) and bar sales (5.9%), while 'other' income decreased by 8.3% over the same period.
In terms of sectors, the main contributor to the annual growth rate of 7.0% in total income for July was:
- Takeaway and fast-food outlets with a 10.6% y/y rise and contributing 3.7 percentage points;
- Followed by restaurants and coffee shops with a 5.0% increase and a 2.4 percentage point contribution.
- Catering services also contributed to the year-on-year growth‚ increasing 5.2% y/y and contributing 0.9 of a percentage point.