Fasa's Breakfast Seminar Put The Spotlight On Dealing With The Media
Having speakers from two of South Africa's top investigative television programmes - Bernadette Cook, investigative journalist from Carte Blanche and Debora Patta, formerly of e-tv and currently an international correspondent - giving advice on how to deal with the media and protect your brand from negative publicity was a real scoop! Both regaled us with the inside stories to some of those scandalous stories and rip-offs we see on their programmes and have these pointers as to how to respond to the media when you, your company or product is being investigated:
- Don't ever hide from the media - it gives the idea you are hiding something.
- Always be approachable and transparent and never defensive. Take the media's calls and if need be, ask for time to revert back to them.
- Establish what facts you want to divulge and prepare a press statement giving as many facts as possible.
- Appoint the right spokesperson to speak to the media or give them a list of people they can approach.
- Always honour a deal or follow through if you commit to speak to the media.